High School & Pre-Medical Student Stanford Summer Internship
Curriculum & Outcomes
This course schedule will serve as the framework for each of the three programs. Changes will be made to adapt to student needs, instructors, and/or available resources. The application deadline is the same for all three programs.
Daily attendance for the full term is non-negotiable
(barring any unforeseen emergencies).
- Orientation and Safety Course
- Knot Tying
This week is focused on knot tying. The student is expected to master the two-handed knot and to be introduced to the one-handed knot.
- Instrument Handling Basics
The student is introduced to different ways to hold a needle driver, including "palming" the instruments.
- Introduction to Porcine Heart Dissection
Using the porcine heart, the student is taught how to make an incision, how to hold the scissors and forceps, and how to suture in a vertical fashion and horizontal fashion.
- Aortic Dissection and Thoracic Aortic Vessel Ligation
- Basic Running Suturing
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (Distal)
- Introduction to Cardiac Anatomy and Physiology
- History of Cardiac Surgery
- Heart and Lung Transplant
- Aortic Valve Sparing Surgery
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (Proximal and Distal)
- Heart Dissection and Ligation Suturing Practice
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Aortic Valve Suturing
Students are introduced to more advanced surgical skills and will build on their basic techniques.
- Aseptic Surgery Course
Gowning and gloving
- Aortic Valve Replacement
Mechanical or Biological Valve Implantation
- General Surgery and Emergency Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- History of Congenital Disease and Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery