High School and Pre-medical Student Stanford Summer Internship
The Cardiothoracic Surgical Skills and Education Center Stanford Summer Internship is designed to educate high school and pre-medical students considering careers in science, medicine, and public health in basic and advanced cardiovascular anatomy and physiology as well as medical and surgical techniques that will be utilized in pre-medical and medical school. This program is open to all students worldwide.
All lectures and labs take place in the Project Classrooms at the Li Ka Shing Center for Learning and Knowledge—which, by design, bring together cutting-edge medicine, modern education, and advanced technology—and the Falk Cardiovascular Research Bldg. Both are located at the Stanford University School of Medicine.
The Cardiothoracic Surgical Skills and Education Center is a non-profit organization whose goal is to provide premed- and medical school-level education and training to those high school and pre-medical students passionate about the field of cardiothoracic surgery as a potential career. We do require a non-refundable application fee of $195, and, if accepted, there will be a program fee of $8,500. (Lunch will be provided daily)
Please consider partnering with us to further enhance this summer program. First and foremost, we strive to make this program more readily accessible to all individuals, including those with less opportunity, through a robust scholarship and assistance program. We also wish to expand the scope and impact of the program by adding several new educational modules. Donations can be made online through our secure donation webpage. Donations above and beyond the program fee are also greatly appreciated, but not required. Please do not send application fee or program fee through this webpage.
We offer scholarships for students who show academic excellence but also demonstrate financial need. To be considered for a scholarship, the student must meet one or more of the economic need indicators listed below:
- Student's annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the Federal Government.
- Student is enrolled in a federal, state or local program that aids students from low-income families.
- Student's family receives public assistance.
- Student lives in federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or is homeless.
- Other request from high school principal, high school counselor, financial aid officer, or community leader that explains a student’s financial need.
Scholarship/Financial aid requests must be submitted in a written letter along with the application and must include parents' previous two years federal and state tax returns for review. Scholarship funds are very limited, and we want as many students to have access to our program as possible. Please do not apply for scholarships unless you are truly in financial need.
Housing is available through Stanford Summer Conferences. An abbreviated, on-campus collegiate experience is available to students who require housing as an intern. The cost for Stanford campus housing is $3,000, which includes room, three meals per day per student in the dining hall, and 24/7 supervision for students under the age of eighteen. To request on-campus housing, please select "Yes" on the general application. For more information, please contact Tiffany Koyano at email@example.com.
- First day to apply for 2016 Stanford summer internship: September 21, 2015
- Early decision application deadline: December 14, 2015
- Early decision notification of acceptance status: January 22, 2016
- Regulation application deadline: February 22, 2016
- Notification of 2016 acceptance status: March 20, 2016
- 2016 Summer internship begin/end dates:
- Program 1 begins: June 20th, 2016
- Housing Check-in: June 19th, 2016
- Last day of Program 1: July 8th, 2016
- Housing Check-out: July 9th, 2016
- Program 2 begins: July 11th, 2016
- Housing Check-in: July 10th, 2016
- Last day of Program 2: July 29th, 2016
- Housing Check-out: July 30th, 2016
Please note that the curriculum for Program 1 and Program 2 are identical, and the application deadline is the same for both programs. Our program is in high demand and has very limited space. Therefore, daily attendance for the full term is non-negotiable (barring any unforeseen emergencies).
How to Apply
NOTE: The minimum age requirement for this internship is sixteen before the first day of the internship.
Please print or handwrite clearly in black ink.
Please do NOT staple or/and attach any part of your application.
Please mail all items together, including the application fee, to the contact listed below. (The recommendation letters can be sent separately by each person making the recommendation.):
Application form: 2016 Cardiothoracic Surgical Skills Summer Internship Application Form
Official copy of transcript from most recent high school or university
Official results of PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores (Highly recommended)
A minimum of three letters of recommendation. These letters must reach the Admissions Committee Office as soon as possible, and a file is not complete until at least three letters are received. Letters of recommendation must be sent directly from the person making the recommendation to the contact listed below via email, fax, or regular postal mail and can arrive separately from the rest of the application.
Short Essay #1- The Admission committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. Please limit to no more than 1,000 words.
Short Essay #2- Describe your reasons for pursuing a spot in the Cardiothoracic Summer Internship in relation to your long-term career goal. Please limit to no more than 1,000 words.
- Application fee of $195 (please make the check out to: "Stanford University, Cardiothoracic Surgical Skills and Education Center")
NOTE: The minimum age requirement for this internship is sixteen.
Please mail the following items to the contact listed below.
- Please print or handwrite clearly in black ink.
- Please do NOT staple or/and attach any part of your application.
- Please mail all items together, including the application fee (the recommendation letters are sent separately by each person making the recommendation):
|NOTE REGARDING MEDICAL INSURANCE: Accepted students are required to be covered by their parent’s medical insurance, which will be used if medical care is required. A copy of the student’s current medical plan coverage card must be on file prior to the start of the Summer Internship Program. Parents will be contacted if medical attention is required. This information will be requested only of students who are accepted into the program --- please DO NOT send this in with the initial application.|
Tiffany Koyano, Program Coordinator
Stanford University School of Medicine
Falk Cardiovascular Research Bldg.
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
300 Pasteur Drive, CV-015
Stanford CA 94305-5407
Phone: (650) 725-3836
Fax: (650) 498-8614