Stanford and the Bay Area
These links to external website will give you more information about the Stanford community.
* Stanford Community Housing Services
Information and listings of off-campus housing for Stanford affiliates – includes subsidized off-campus housing
* Stanford Graduate Housing
Information about on-campus housing for graduate students
* Google Housing Maps with rental listings
A unique tool that couples Google Maps with Craigslist
Arguably the most useful tool for finding Bay Area housing
* Stanford Parking and Transportation
Buy your parking permit, Cal Train “Go Pass,” register your bike, and more.
A great resource for people who bike for transportation or recreation.
Bay Area's interactive guide to comprehensive, accurate, reliable and useful multimodal travel information to meet the needs of Bay Area travelers
* Cal Train
The public train that runs from San Francisco through Stanford/Palo Alto (and other towns) down to San Jose/Gilroy; and back.
* Sam Trans
Public transportation in San Mateo county
* Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority
Local busses (many that serve the Stanford community) and light rail
* BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)
Public transportation serving San Francisco and the East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, etc.)
* Muni Metro System
San Francisco buses, subway, and streetcars.
Free Shuttle Services
* Stanford Marguerite Shuttle
Free Stanford shuttle with multiple lines to take you from point A to B on campus, to downtown Palo Alto, and also many local shopping areas.
* Palo Alto Shuttle
The local free shuttle
Telephone and high-speed internet for off-campus living.
* City of Palo Alto Utilities
Electric, gas, sewer, and refuse for Palo Alto residents.
* Comcast Cable
Cable and high-speed internet for off-campus living.
* Pacific Gas & Electric Corporation (PG&E)
Electricity and gas for area living (non-Palo Alto).
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District
Greenbelt resources, news, and events.
* Golden Gate National Recreation Area
About the Golden Gate National Parks.
* Point Reyes National Seashore
About the Point Reyes recreation area.
* East Bay Regional Park District
About parks and recreation in the East Bay.
* Jatbar:Jason and Terry's Bay Area Review
Regular folks write reviews of restaurants, clubs, and more.
* Palo Alto Online Restaurant Reviews
Reviews published in the community newspaper.
Local and Regional Museums and Related Institutions
* Alcatraz Island
* Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
* Bay Area Discovery Museum
* California Academy of Sciences
* California Palace of Legion of Honor
* Cantor Center for Visual Arts
* Center for the Arts at Yerba Buena Gardens
* Children's Discovery Museum
* Computer History Museum
* Filoli Gardens
* M.H. de Young Museum
* Mission Cultural Center of Latino Arts
* Monterey Bay Aquarium
* Museum of the African Diaspora
* Palo Alto Art Center
* Precita Eyes Mural Arts & Visitors Center