Leadership in Health Disparities Program (LHDP)
Program History and Goals
The Leadership in Health Disparities Program (LHDP) evolved from the Stanford Medical School’s Early Matriculation Program (EMP) that began in 1984 to promote academic careers in medicine among minority and disadvantaged medical students. Over the past decades, the EMP was successful in helping students achieve academic and leadership careers. Yet, because of the persistence of health inequities in the nation, the EMP evolved into the LHDP to create the next generation of physician leaders committed to addressing health disparities. Flyer
LHDP Summer Program & LHDP Year-Long Seminars
Today, the LHDP is available to all matriculating Stanford medical students. It includes a summer early matriculation component directed at initiating a successful medical and leadership career, and a two-year leadership seminar series
during the school year focused on increasing students’ knowledge of health inequities, the roles of physician leaders, and their leadership challenges. We encourage students interested in careers addressing health inequities to
consider this program. The summer is comprised of a seven-week program that is offered during the summer quarter preceding the first year of medical school. It offers students the following activities:
• Introduction to population health disparities.
• Meetings with medical and community health leaders on issues of health disparities.
• Weekly sessions on developing leadership skills in medicine and meeting with physician leaders.
• Exposure to research opportunities with faculty in one of the scholarly concentrations.
• Introductory Histology course integrating concepts of basic science with clinical science.
• Introduction to Patient Care course designed to provide early hands on introduction to taking patient histories and conducting standardized patient exams.
• Interactions with medical students, residents and faculty interested in health inequities.
Program Finances for LHDP Summer Program
Students matriculate for the summer quarter and pay a reduced tuition rate. Participants receive a research assistantship, which covers the research rate tuition and salary covering the estimated cost of living expenses for the seven week program. Financial aid is not available.
2020 LHDP Summer Program
May 6, 2020- Registration deadline for the summer LHDP.
Early May 2020- Online Summer Housing Registration Deadline (first round).
June 23, 2020 - Start of 2020 Summer LHDP.
August 5, 2020 - Last day of summer program.
Mark Gutierrez, Assistant Director
Center of Excellence
1265 Welch Road, MSOB x363
Stanford, Ca 94305