The Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education (COEDME) was established in 1993 with the assistance of a grant sponsored by the Health Resources and Services Administration. The goal of the COEDME is to prepare the next generation of medical leaders to address the health issues of a diverse society. The primary initiatives to address this goal include:
- Expanding the diversity of the health professional work force, especially in academic medicine
- Promoting cultural competence in medical education for all trainees
- Supporting scholarly projects in the area of health inequities in our diverse society
- Developing leadership skills in students from diverse backgrounds
- Working with faculty from throughout Stanford University to eliminate health inequities
- Enhancing the participation of alumni in the diversity activities of the School of Medicine
COEDME Mission Statement
Cultivating and sustaining an environment that fosters the development of diverse physician leaders who are committed to eliminating the nation’s health inequities through patient care, education, research, and advocacy.
COEDME Vision Statement
Stanford Medical School graduates will be leaders in eliminating health inequities in our country.