Science, Technology and Medicine Summer Program
Stanford Anesthesia Summer Institute
Explore Careers in Science, Technology and Medicine
A Rigorous 2-week Program in Health Technology
Are you a high school or college student with a passion for health care and curiosity about the field of anesthesia, health care technology, science-related careers or medical education?
Our two-week summer program (June 19 - 30, 2017) is designed for high school and pre-medical undergraduate students interested in pursuing careers in medicine, STEM, medical research and development, or health care design, with a specific focus on medicine, Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine.
Led by Stanford Faculty & Staff
This summer program will provide clinical observation opportunities, hands-on experience with anesthesia skills, and mentorship from Stanford medical students and faculty to foster career development in the health professions.
Interact with attending physicians, residents, medical students and medical school admissions officers from Stanford University.
Choose from a range of internship tracks and mentored capstone projects: Clinical, Medical Education, or Research.
Three ways you will leap ahead at the Stanford
Science, Technology, and Medicine (STM) Summer Program
Earn your BLS certificate this summer
Our basic life support (BLS) course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations and provide early use of an AED. Earn your certificate in BLS through the Stanford STM Program!
Observe health care technology at work
Get advice about navigating the application process for medical school from current medical students and resident physicians. Our Stanford STM Summer Program students also benefit from observership opportunities within the department of anesthesiology, perioperative and pain medicine at Stanford University.
*Individual student opportunities will vary depending on clinical opportunities and timing.
Create a health care capstone project
Our Stanford faculty and staff will provide students with mentored opportunities to pursue capstone projects in a variety of tracks that include clinical certificates, medical education or scientific research. All tracks are fun and exciting ways to enhance your summer experience.
Gain Hands-on Experience
- Perform intubations and IV placements in a state-of the-art simulation lab.
- Master airway anatomy using high-fidelity simulators and virtual reality.
- Observe anesthesiologists providing patient care in a clinical setting.
- Collaborate in a team environment to address a simulated airway emergency.
Visit World-Renowned Stanford Facilities
- Simulation sessions held at Stanford's Center for Immersive and Simulation-based Learning & Veterans Health Administration Simulation Center.
- Daily educational sessions - didactics led by Anesthesia experts, problem-based-learning exercises, medical career workshops, design charettes, medical education media creation, and more.
- Opportunity to observe clinical Anesthesia, Perioperative, and Pain medicine in a high-functioning hospital.