11.2 Requirements for Malpractice Insurance Coverage for New Faculty Physicians & Staff Physicians
Department chairs may wish to keep the numerous required approvals and forms in mind when scheduling the dates on which new faculty physicians and other physicians or psychologists are to begin clinical duties.
Before a new faculty physician, Voluntary Clinical Faculty member or Staff Physician can be provided malpractice insurance and assigned patient care responsibility, the following requirements must be met and forms completed:
- Formal School and/or University (as applicable) approval of the faculty or staff appointment
- Formal approval of a Medical Staff appointment at Stanford Health Care and/or Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
- California Medical Licensure form (see http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Forms/LVS/LVS-subscription.pdf), indicating that the new appointee has a valid California Medical License without encumbrances. Before offering the candidate a position, the department chair should determine that the candidate holds such a license or can obtain one before assuming patient care responsibilities.
- If the candidate is not a US citizen, a completed Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Request form. For information about the requirements for foreign nationals, contact Bechtel International Center.
- Letter of Agreement on Professional Fees to transmit professional fees to the appropriate Stanford Health Care or Lucile Packard Children's Hospital account, signed by the new appointee.