New to Stanford
Welcome! Congratulations on your appointment to the Faculty!
Whether you are new to the Bay Area and the University, or have a long history with Stanford, we welcome you to the faculty of the School of Medicine.
ON THIS PAGE
The University Benefits Office is your source for all information regarding your benefits. The Stanford Benefits website provides detailed information about benefits eligibility, medical and life benefits, retirement savings, and professional and wellness programs. You will also find a video library to help you learn more about Stanford’s benefits and resources.
Sign Up for Health Benefits
You must enroll in benefits within thirty days of your start date at the University as a benefited employee. Enrollment can be done online or by phone and requires your Stanford ID and PIN.
Stanford ID – see your Stanford ID card and use the last 8 digits, or request this number from your Human Resources administrator.
PIN – your temporary PIN is the month and year of your birth (MMYYYY). Otherwise it is the PIN you selected the first time you called the Benefits office or logged in on their website.
School Of Medicine Orientation
Faculty onboarding and orientation will be virtual this year. In lieu of the day-long session, two 90-minute zoom sessions and one 60-minute session will be held on October 28, 29 and 30 in the morning. In addition, a series of “meet and greet” hours will be hosted in July and August which will allow for an informal opportunity to network with faculty with similar interests (sign-up at here starting June 25). Lastly, a presentation and panel discussion on junior faculty mentoring at the school will be held in November.
By now you should have received an initial package of information, either through the School of Medicine Faculty Onboarding system or from your department's faculty affairs administrator (FAA), including the items below. If you have not received this, you may want to request it right away from your department contact.
- Who's who in your department: a list of relevant faculty and staff, including departmental leadership as well as people who manage grants, finance, space, and computing.
- Benefits information: faculty benefits including the Tuition Grant Program, medical coverage and retirement information; where and when to sign up, and how to find a benefits orientation.
- Identification: how to get your SUNET ID, which uniquely identifies you for email and secure access to many Stanford websites; your campus ID card, hospital (or other building) badge.
- Work/Life: the Parking and Transportation website and group; the PE, Recreation and Wellness organization; and the Stanford WorkLife office.
- Physician information: for faculty with clinical duties, how to obtain medical staff privileges at the hospitals, and information on physician billing and malpractice coverage.
- Required training: HIPAA compliance, sexual harassment training, laboratory safety, and how to determine what training is required for you.
- Home and family: relocation services; the University's Faculty/Staff Housing office; resources for dual-career families (e.g. finding employment at the University or elsewhere for a spouse or partner).
Every fall, the University's Faculty Development and Diversity Office offers New Faculty Orientation. Invitations are sent out via email to all new faculty. This office also maintains a website for new faculty, which includes an online orientation, to-do checklist and quicklinks to information of interest to new faculty.
Welcome Meeting with an Associate Dean
The Associate Deans of Academic Affairs will meet with new Assistant Professors to welcome you to Stanford, answer questions about getting started at Stanford, and inform you about resources available to you.
If you are interested in meeting with an Associate Dean but have not been contacted, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs.
The School of Medicine organizes numerous workshops for faculty in all lines on topics related to prefessional development and career advancement. Announcments to these workshops are sent by email, typically 3-4 weeks prior to the worskhop dates. Click HERE for upcoming and past workshops.